I am a future Health and Physical education teacher and I would love to know any tips on making my future students feel comfortable in physical education class. I know when I was in high school, the students who were not as athletic barely got any attention and also did not receive a good grade because of their performance. A perfect classroom would be where everyone is happy and loves to participate in physical activity. I know that not all students are going to love being active, but it would be nice to make a good start in trying. The ones that need to most attention are the ones who are not as active as others to get them in shape. Is there any way to make the classroom a better place for all students and not only the ones who are athletic and enjoy physical education class? 

Views: 72

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well Kailin an easy way to get everyone of all skill levels participating is to have pair games so that you can have an athlete paired with a less physically skilled student.  This way no one has an advantage in the game.  

Thank you Anthony! What if a student is discouraged by the game and the athletic student is not supportive of the student who is less talented? 

I have always found that outlining the expectations of the class right from the start of the year/semester is important for my classes.  I realize that some of the kids are only in my class because it is a mandatory credit.  I have a rubric for the students to be graded on and show it to them right away and remind them often that they are being graded on the rubric and not their athletic ability.  I feel the basis of my Wellness and Fitness class is understanding how our bodies work in correlation with our surroundings, learning to be a good citizen/team member, and most importantly learning to appreciate the benefits of staying physically active through a wide array of activities.  My Fitness class meets every other day over the course of a semester and we will generally have Day 1 be a cardio/aerobic workout, Day 2 be a strength circuit training day, and Day 3 be a game day. 

Here is my rubric:

4 Points:  Constant movement, plays both ends of the floor or field, moves to open areas/plays defense, understands concepts, obvious signs of physical activity.

3 Points:  Sporadic movement, plays both ends of the floor or field, rarely moves to open areas/plays defense, limited understanding of concepts, notable signs of physical activity.

2 Points:  Rarely moves, stays on one end of the floor or field, moves in a limited area, lacks understanding of concepts, no signs of physical activity.

1 Point:  No movement, excludes self, no understanding of concepts, no physical activity.

0 Point:  Does not participate in class activity.

I have attached the entire rubric which has the cardio and strength components included.

Hope this helps!

Luke

Attachments:

Kailin, no matter the skill level everyone can reach his or her goal. Have the students make short-term and long-term goals on note cards. At the end of the year pass them back and see if the students reached their goals. Every class period they could make a goal for the day. Its always good if a student reaches his or her goal no matter what it is. 

Thank you very much! This will be very helpful for when I get out there in the Physical Education classes.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Naspe Talk - Sponsored by Sportime, Spark and School Specialty is a social network

© 2014   Created by School Specialty PE.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service